SEE PHOTOS OF BONA DEA FEATURES AND PLANTS & WILDLIFE AT LINKS BELOW.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Bona Dea Update







Bona Dea was sunny and hot and humid the last few days. Yesterday, Thursday, I fed the fish at the spillway again and it seems another flathead catfish joined the group. They tend to take the food away from the smaller Blue Gill Brim fish that like for the hard feed pellets to get softer in the water. Also Musk Turtles had their fill. Also saw a big Yellow bellied Water Snake in the spillway and was not afraid for me to mess with it. I suppose it is used to me by now. On Swinging Bridge Trail I saw these wildflowers that I have not seen before. They are Autumn Clematis vine plants and one photo shows the pretty bloom and the other one shows the entire plant growing in with other plants. The broader leaves in the photo belong to this plant and are on long vines. Close by was a butterfly. It is a Pearl Crescent. It was a small one and the photo shows it is on the White Bedstraw plant bloom. Also close by was this Yellow Garden Spider. It was just sitting on one of the long plants fern like plants that is shown in the Bedstraw plant photo. Today, Friday, I just stayed around on Old Shorty Trail by the main parking area. I saw a really big dead Cicada Insect. I put in on a bench and took this photo. Also in this post is a photo of a exo-skeleton or shell that this insect emerges from that I took and posted some time ago.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is so much to discover in this world, one life is not enough! Every time I visit your blog I see a new creature.....amazing!

Anonymous said...

At first I wondered how you got to take a shot of a cicada up close like that. Then I read it was dead. :) Cicadas are also common here.

John said...

Hello Nehha. There is surely a lot to see in this world and we will not see but only a very small part.

John said...

Hi AJ. For some reason, there is more Cicada's out this year. But I think I heard or read a long time ago that they come and go every so many years. But they can really sing loud. When they sing with the tree frogs, it sounds like an orchestra.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post with excellent photos.

John said...

Thanks a lot Ron.

Unknown said...

Very nice blog! Thanks for following me. I am afraid I can't figure out how to reply to you within blog catalog so I thought I would leave you a comment here. THANKS

John said...

Thanks galla15. Come back for a visit when you can.