SEE PHOTOS OF BONA DEA FEATURES AND PLANTS & WILDLIFE AT LINKS BELOW.

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Bona Dea and Holla Bend Refuges Updates





I have some new photos taken at Holla Bend National Wildlife Refuge near Dardanelle, Arkansas which is about 12 miles from Bona Dea. Paul Ray came by for another visit and we took his camera equipment to Holla Bend. Here is a link to that photo album: However I have shown here a photo of a American White Pelican closeup of its opening its very big beak used to eat very big fish. Also a closeup of a young Bald Eagle. The one with the white head and a closeup of a Red Tail Hawk that is sitting in a small tree. We went to Bona Dea also on last Tuesday and I got this first ever photo for me of a Gadwal duck in a private pond right next to one of the trails at Bona Dea. Today, I went to feed the deer and doves at the park and I scared off a Green-winged Teal duck. Did not have my camera but here is 2 links for info. on them. Also today, Friday, there were several flocks of both Black and Turkey Vultures flying overhead. More than I have seen in some time. It had rained over 2 inches the other day and the creeds and ponds were looking a little better. I fed the fish at the Spillway for the first time in a long time. They seemed to be too cold to care much about eating. A lot of people out in the cold weather the last few weeks running or riding bikes or just walking about. The Canadian Geese and Mallard Ducks are plentiful this year at the park. The geese come in from the open waters to spend the night at the park and they come in dozens at a time at nightfall. Different varieties of ducks do the same.

No comments: