SEE PHOTOS OF BONA DEA FEATURES AND PLANTS & WILDLIFE AT LINKS BELOW.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bona Dea Update

I did not think I was going to the Park today, Saturday, but they canceled a ballgame I was going to so I went out there. Did not spend too much time. I walked around without my camera and noticed the Robins around the east end of the park. I heard a funny sounding bird and spent a while trying to locate it. Then in the top of a tree I saw it. I knew it was a woodpecker type of bird right away but could not remember the name. I looked it up and got the info. to I.D. it and saw it was a Yellow Bellied Sapsucker. What a name. It stays here in the winter and not all year round nor breeds here. Below is a link to a picture of it. It really is a pretty bird and what I noticed first was the red on its head the the white streaks on the body with a black background. Also around were the dreaded Starlings. Also a link to them here too. They are all black with shot tails and eat everything in sight.

http://sdakotabirds.com/species_photos/photos/yellow_bellied_sapsucker_1.jpg

http://www.parishchurch-inf.croydon.sch.uk/Classes/Starlings/bird.png

No comments: