SEE PHOTOS OF BONA DEA FEATURES AND PLANTS & WILDLIFE AT LINKS BELOW.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bona Dea Update















Bona Dea was cloudy and cold today. On the way by the sanctuary, I saw an unusual sight. There were 3 Double Crested Cormorants sitting on a piece of a old tree in Lake Dardanelle right across the dike from the park. See photos. Also a close up of a single bird. Bird descriptions shows this bird not known in this area at any time. But this year I have seen a single one on Waldon Pond at Bona Dea and then more than once in this location on Lake Dardanelle. The Turkey Vulchers were flying around and on their usual roosting spot. See photo of them in the trees. Ducks of various types were flying in to their night spot in Black Water Swamp. Unusual not to see a Great Blue Heron at the places I visited today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow cormorants! Do you know that river fishermen in Guilin, China use them for fishing? They dive for fish and give their hunt to the fishermen. Then these guys give the cormorants their "share". Pretty amazing.

John said...

You know, it has been a long time ago but it seems I have heard that before. Actually I mis-identified these cormorants I saw. They are Double Breasted Cormorants and not Neotropic Cormorants. Sorry for that. I will change the post to reflect that. By the way, I am going to again post the Pileated Woodpecker sound. The link will take you directly to the sound page. You gotta here that. Thanks!!

John said...

I meant Double Crested Cormorants.