SEE PHOTOS OF BONA DEA FEATURES AND PLANTS & WILDLIFE AT LINKS BELOW.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bona Dea Update


Bona Dea was a lot warmer today and turned mostly cloudy by late afternoon. At the spillway, I finally got the fish to feed. They were all over the place. Blue Gill Brim. Pic in previous post. I heard the Pileated Woodpeckers calling out to each other over across Prarie Creek from the spillway. On the way to the park I saw a single Double-crested Cormorant again. They must like that perching spot on the old snag in Lake Dardanelle. For the first time this winter I saw a basking type turtle on a small snag in Waldon Pond. In warmer weather they are all over the snags in the creeks and ponds. I could not I.D. but it probably was a Red-eared Slider or a Common Map turtle. The birds were not active today but some Turkey Vulchers were flying about. Also heard some Robins chirping in the distance.

2 comments:

Ikhwan said...

it is very interesting....

John said...

Thanks for your comment Ikhwan. Please come back for a visit from time to time. In a few weeks the weather will turn to spring time and snakes and turtles and hopefully an aligator will come out.