SEE PHOTOS OF BONA DEA FEATURES AND PLANTS & WILDLIFE AT LINKS BELOW.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Bona Dea Alligator, Birds and Deer Update









Bona Dea was cloudy turning mostly sunny and very Humid today,Thursday. At the pumping station there was an Easter Phoebe flycatcher along with the Cliff Swallows trying to catch some flying insects. Also on the way out by the station, I saw this Mourning Dove, brown bird, setting on a guard rail. Down on Swinging Bridge Trail and the spillway the fish were fed and no bird action down there. Except for the resident Belted Kingfisher flying around Prairie Creek looking for a fish meal. I scurried over to Beaver Trail for just a hunch. The birds had moved over there. There were some Carolina Wrens staying in the bushes in the water close to bank. The Redwing Blackbirds were all over the place. The find of the day was a Prothonotary Warbler. A very pretty Yellow bird. They have been at the park a lot so far this year. These 2 photos are the first I have taken of them. They sorta look like a litino parakeet. At least for the color. While standing around that area I saw the Alligator again. 2 photos of it. While doing this I heard something jump behind me and thought I was going to get run over. A female,doe, dear took off like crazy going a long ways away and I thought I saw something go in a different direction. I looked around and then spotted her fawn, baby, staring at me. This photo showing a very young fawn with its white spots. This is the second time in a week that I have been startled by a family of deer. On the way out and then on Waldon Way I saw a yellow looking bird fly in a tree and looked up and saw this real pretty Baltimore Oriole. It started preening itself and one photo showing in all ruffled up while preening. Preening is using its beak to clean their feathers. The other photo is after it has finished and seems to be looking in a mirror at how pretty it is.

No comments: