SEE PHOTOS OF BONA DEA FEATURES AND PLANTS & WILDLIFE AT LINKS BELOW.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Bona Dea flood Update







Bona Dea was really flooded today,Thursday. It had rained almost 3 inches last night and this morning. You could not get to the spillway on Swinging Bridge Trail or around to the South side of the park. The pumping station was working full time but was not taking out the water that was going in to the park. This photo shows Waldon Way Trail at the north end. I did take some wildflower pics. The blueish long cluster flower is an Indian Tobacco plant then one of the leaves of the same plant taken on the pumping station trail. The yellow wildflower is a Common Tickseed which was taken by the pumping station. Also on Black Water Swamp at the Bird Blind was a mother Wood Duck and her 2 young ones. Also all along all the trails are Privet bush plants which I have in my yard and in a lot of yards in this part of the country which produces a very thick hedge and grows very fast. They have the white flowers and then dark blue or black berries later on. The Red Wing Blackbirds were in the swamp as well as the Eastern Kingbirds. A watersnake was seen at the head of Swinging Bridge trail in a place where it normally is dry land. Also small fish fry were swimming in area that are usually above water. There were some Gray Squirrels roaming around where they could find a dry spot. A Great Blue Heron wading bird landed in the flooded area where I took the photo then flew off when it saw me.

4 comments:

Linda T. Darcy said...

I love your pix!!!

Jan said...

This is beautiful photography! I love the wetlands areas. I was once employed by CSIRO and worked on Kakadu National Park in the NT of Australia to help make that into a National Park. A Botanist/Scientist friend of mine did 90% of the flora survey for Kakadu. Brilliant lady now in her 80's and still sharper than most tacks.

John said...

Thanks LT for your comment.

John said...

Hello Jan. I have some people I have met since I have been involved with this park that are quite knowledgeable with birds and flora. I have learned quite a bit and did not know of the variety of plants and animals in this park and I have lived here all my life. Most people just pass by and don't enjoy this beautiful nature. Wetlands provide a habitat for a lot of wildlife. Thanks for your comment and visit when you can.