SEE PHOTOS OF BONA DEA FEATURES AND PLANTS & WILDLIFE AT LINKS BELOW.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Bona Dea Update







Bona Dea was mostly cloudy late in the afternoon and mild today, Sunday. On Swinging Bridge Trail there was some pretty mushrooms. They were redish to pink in color. This is a photo of a Bloody Brittlegil. They were popping up on the trail in just the last day or two. There was another female Great Blue Skimmer dragonfly and I took the back side today as I took the underside on another one yesterday. By the spillway the female Green Heron was sitting on her nest in the tree. The big Yellow bellied watersnake came up from the creek and disappeared under the rocks by the spillway. Also in the area were some Prothonatary Warblers. The males are a very pretty yellow. On Waldon Pond was a lone male Wood Duck. This photo shows it heading for the island. There was a Carolina Wren playing around the waters edge on Goose Pond. Also the mosquitoes are getting really bad all over the park now. The chiggers are bad too. I have many bites from both right now. I went to Beaver Trail and nothing was happening over there except the before mentioned bugs. I walked around to the big bridge over Prairie Creek and saw this Large-flower yellow Tickseed wildflower. Someone walked by and said there were 2 Copperhead Snakes on the trail up the way. I had to get up there fast to get some photos but they had disappeared. A pair of Brown Thrush birds were on Waldon Way trail and some walkers scared them away before I could photo. Also there was a really big seed head from a wild weed on the steep bank on the dike by my parking area. This is a Goatsbeard-Western Salisfy.2 photos. It was about 5 or 6 inches in diameter and when I got back from the trails the wind had already torn in apart. It is good I took the photo on the way down and not back.

2 comments:

shaz said...

ohh i love nature you should take more pictures of duck also..

John said...

shaz, I will try to take more duck photos. I may get some wood ducks with babies soon just for you.